| There are many ways you can support
A Shield and Refuge Ministry!
A Shield and Refuge Ministry relies entirely upon the provision of the LORD, and we invite you to be a part of that provision!
1. You can PRAY. We know and understand from scripture that God calls His people to pray...and we have seen God's hand at work when His people pray.
We invite you to PRAY for the ministry of A Shield and Refuge, and all those who work to bring freedom, hope, and healing from Mormon Fundamentalism. Pray that those seeking freedom would find us, and that God will continue to provide us with the resources needed to assist them.
We invite you to be on our mailing list, so that you can continually be updated on how you can pray for our needs, and pray for individuals who are leaving, or trying to leave, polygamy. If you wish to be on our physical mailing list, contact us at email@example.com.
2. You can VOLUNTEER. A Shield and Refuge relies on many hands, seeking creative ways to contribute to bring hope and freedom to those who need it. If you think you have nothing to offer, think again. While working with exiting Fundamentalists is generally a delicate and sensitive matter, there are ways you may be able to assist in this worthwhile endeavor. Here is a list (by no means exhaustive!) of some possible ways.
- Being available to provide short-term, emergency "safe housing" for an exiting polygamist (typically a woman or a woman and her children)
- Being available to assist an "exit team" to help escort fleeing people and families to safety.
- Offering professional services you have at your disposal (legal, medical, social work, etc.)
- Help provide life-skills training (many polygamists, especially those from closed communities, have few skills for surviving "on the outside")
- Provide a job and/or job training (fundamentalists by and large have an extremely well-developed work ethic, regardless of their education)
- Help provide counseling and spiritual guidance
- Volunteer for the production of our television program, Polygamy: What Love Is This? (Thursday nights in Salt Lake City).
- Have an idea of your own? Contact us and let us know!
3. You can CONTRIBUTE. We count on the generous financial support of individuals, churches, and ministries who share our burden to reach the unreached fundamentalists for Jesus Christ! Your financial contributions help with the following:
- Provide for the immediate physical "emergency" needs of exiting families, many of whom have no means of support outside their fundamentalist communities (learn about the hagar fund!)
- Enable exiting fundamentalists to find stable, workable, and self-sustaining living situations once they have left their fundamentalist community.
- Support S&R's full-time missionary to fundamentalists, whose long hours include efforts to reach fundamentalists, counsel them both with practical and spiritual guidance, and arrange for their immediate rescue needs, as well as responsibly enable them to provide for their own needs once they are on the outside
- Help get the word out to those fundamentalists who would leave in a heartbeat, but don't know that there are any safe options out there.
You can make online donations here.
A Shield and Refuge also receives donations of non-perishable food items, clothes (children and adult), and household items, vehicles, etc., to assist exiting families in establishing a safe and stable home.
(We currently are limited in space, however; we would be grateful for a donated storage unit space in Salt Lake City for the items we have gathered thus far!)
We are always on the lookout for creative ways to help further this ministry. Don't hesitate to contact us if you believe you have a creative way you can be a part of this effort. And even if you can't think of a specific way, don't let that stop you from contacting us and sharing your concern with us!